This is the World of Rock N' Roll Junkie

Welcome to my demented world of Noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Goo Goo Dolls Ryman Auditorium Nashville, TN 10/17/11

     The trip to Nashvegas is always rather long for me. Takes about three and half hours. For ordinary people it takes four hours. Truth, i got a heavy foot when i got a long haul. I guess it was worth it though. All except the final prize of meeting the band, getting autographs, and taking pics for my special online album with musicians i get the pleasure of meeting.

     Nashvegas is Nashvegas for a reason. There is a surplus of talent as John Rzeznik remarked in his show that there were many who could out do him on guitar. The question is can anyone write that next big hit? The one that sells a million plus? That is the eternal question. Anyway, enough with my rambling.

     Ryman Auditorium is a great small venue holds  2,362. I would guess there was about 2,000 there for the Goo Goo Dolls and Ryan Star. Normally i see the opener. I could hear him from where i was sitting anyways. I busied myself looking around the Ryman. The place is rich in history. From Minnie Pearl's hat to Patsy Cline's hat. Which oddly enough i realized Patsy Cline  resembled my own mother more then just a little bit. I was eying a signed set list but  I wasn't paying $20 to buy it just for the review.... Sorry John love the Goo Goo Dolls but i honestly think you guys made your money in merchandise anyways. I saw the line be constantly full, then when it almost was nothing it would start up again.

     The show started "Still Your Song". Then onto one of my faves "Slide". I have been a fan of GGD for many years since their first single on radio but this is my first live experience. Honestly, i am glad i didn't see them all glitzy. I would have probably blew them off and not listened to anything after that.

      This was just a bare bones show. All songs no shit. All guts no glitz. That is the way i like it. It being my first time i was definitely pleased with that. Leave the solos, speeches, breaks for other times. The way they played it John got a break from vocals when Robby did his songs he leads on. Worked out great as far as i am concerned.

     The touring band consists of : John Rzeznik (guitarist, lead and backing vocalist, songwriter), Robby Takac (lead and backing vocals, bass), Mike Malinin (drums, percussion), Brad Fernquist (rhythm guitars, mandolin), and Korel Tunador (keyboards, guitars,saxophone,  backing vocals). Oddly enough the two founding members seem to be the constant, but others have joined and stayed on. In it for the long haul is John Rzeznik and Robby Takac...

     I guess honestly there were many highlights for me. I heard so many songs i know and love that it made it worth sitting in the car to get there. Shame they were playing Ithaca, NY the following night and couldn't stick around for a bit. With Tootsie's, Cadillac Ranch and 20 other bars and such just around the corner.

     I guess what was missing was an opening band i actually wanted to see and meeting the band. That is about it. But if they fulfilled all would there be a reason to go see them again? Probably not. They are a good band to see live for the ticket price is the truth of it....


The set list as follows:

Still Your Song
Slide
Here is Gone
Big Machine
Dizzy
Smash
January
Home
Black Balloon
Can't Let Go
Name
Now I Hear
Tucked Away
We'll Be Here
Become
Let Love In
Stay With You
Better Days
As I Am
Iris
Broadway
Naked

     So all in all a 22 song set is pretty good all things considered. I can't complain about the length of the show by any means. They covered just about every song i and most everyone else wanted to hear. I was quite sure they weren't going to play "Don't Beat My Ass With a Baseball Bat" for some odd reason.

     Anyway, was a good show put on by the Goo Goo Dolls. I can honestly say i have been gooed now. I look forward to their next tour. And have several good live pics to post up, so check'em out....And John there is no way back to the garage man....


     Who my next concert will be who knows? Who my last concert will be only god knows...stay tuned and find out!
























No comments:

Post a Comment